And the Winner Is...
LA was inundated with boots, chaps and cowboy hats Wednesday night. The hood may never be
The 36th annual Country Music Awards are history and were there any real surprises? I don't
think so. The Dixie Chicks, Lee Ann Womack and Toby Keith walked away the big winners. But you
expected it from the Chicks. Toby finally came in to his own. And maybe now the radio stations
will start playing something by Lee Ann besides 'I Hope You Dance'. It seems like the song has
been around forever.
Overall, it's one of the better award shows out there in statuette limbo. Just the right
mix of performances and presentations to keep your interest level piqued.
A change in emcees was made this year. LeAnn Rimes filled in for Vince Gill...Which was okay
because Vince's jokes were getting a little stale and his constant smiling was starting to wear
Like all award shows there were high and lows, which are to be expected. But the highs most
definitely outweighed the lows.
So a tip o' the hat to the winners and to the runners up. Dust off those cowboy hats, polish
those boots, shine those spurs and get ready for next year. 'Cuz we all know Montgomery Gentry
will definitely give Brooks & Dunn a run for their money.
- LeAnn Rimes - Cute little intro. But we've read all the press. Let's get on with the music.
- Billy Gilman - Is this Donny Osmond reincarnated in a country version? I thought you had to
be over thirteen to sing about girlfriends?
- Brooks & Dunn - You guys are good but Montgomery Gentry should have gotten the award for
- Jamie O'Neal - What a breath of fresh air. She's definitely going to be good for country
in the years to come
- Alan Jackson - Does this man embody country music or what? Cornbread and chicken...Back
porch pickin'. Always there with a tune to make your day.
- Kenny Rogers - You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...Hopefully Kenny
won't be cashing in his chips any time soon.
- LeAnn Rimes - Third wardrobe change. Nice little dig on the record industry.
- Jo Dee Messina - At first I thought I was watching 'N Sync or The Backstreet Boys on female
- Montgomery Gentry - Some good ol' boys having some good ol' fun.
- Dwight Yoakam - Are we trying to be the king of remakes or what?
- Lonestar - Okay...They're for real. And it's a great song.
- Brad Paisley - Surprisingly, he doesn't seem to fit into any category. The man can write
a song, sing it and walk away...But you remember it.
- Barbara Mandrell - Has it been thirty years? She definitely was country when country wasn't
- Toby Keith - How do you like him now?
- LeAnn Rimes - Sixth wardrobe change...Are we competing with Christina, Britney and Jennifer
with the dance number?
- Faith Hill - No one else could have taken the honor for best female entertainer of the year.
It was Faith all the way.
- SheDaisy - Could they be bigger than The Dixie Chicks?
- Dixie Chicks - 'Nuff said. Garth may have started the new country revolution, but the Chicks
improved on it and made it better.
- LeAnn Rimes - Okay...Judy Garland would have been honored if she could have heard this
rendition of 'Over the Rainbow'. Now get out there and give us some new stuff, LeAnn.
- Richard Blaine
Quote of the Week
Mark Miller - Our group lost to Brooks & Dunn 53 times.
Chely Wright - Well, that's all changed this year, Mark. Because this year you lost to The
At the CMA awards ceremony (5/9) during the presentation for best duo.
* Richard Blaine's views and opinions do not necessarily
reflect the views and opinions of the staff at Twin-Music.